Dear All,

I must apologise to some of you for not having updated you on my appointment to the Electricity and Water Regulatory Commission. This is not an oversight as I really did not feel this would be a problem for various reasons which I will proffer below, However, it seems I was wrong as the Paopas are trying to portray it as “taking a job from Ernest Koroma”. I am not particularly bothered as this will blow over. Let me however explain a few things that will help clarify the situation.

1. This is a regulatory Commission which is so important for this country. 
Basically the Government has unbundled the electricity sector into a Generation and Transmission Company and a Distribution and Sales Company. Also it now encourages Independent Power Providers to produce and sell electricity directly to these companies. The Regulatory agency (which has been joined with regulating water as well) basically makes sure that there is fairness in the system, especially for the consumers. I have been part of these studies and worked with various consultancies since 2002 when we Cemmats was at NPA. I have also worked on water provision issues for BO, Kenema and Makeni. The recommendation for my appointment came from many sources-Engineering Institution members, external consultants, Chamber of Commerce etc. I discussed it with my colleagues at Cemmats as I wanted to turn it down. They particularly encouraged me to take it to help bring sanity to the sector.

2. The Board is a non political one as it has the following composition-representatives from the SL Institution of Engineers, labour congress, consumer protection Agency and four people with technical expertise in these areas. The Commission’s functions involve licensing operators, monitor compliance, provide guidelines for charging tariffs for electricity and water, protect interest of consumers and investigate quality of service for both water and electricity, promote fair competition, conduct efficiency studies etc. A Director General and other staff will be employed to take care of the day to day running.

3. From the above, it is obvious that the commission will correct a lot of things that may mess up these sectors for years, making it difficult even for an SLPP Government to rectify the mess ne at NPA. It stands a chance of ensuring that power and water are evenly provided round the country and not just concentrated in areas that support the government as the government might be tempted to do. Also tariiffs should eg. be the same for places like Makeni and Kenema.

4. I had a good hearing in Parliament and both Govt and Opposition MPs on the appointment Board were enthused.

5. It is not a salaried job and considering my effort I will put in , may even lose me money because of my time spent on Commission issues.

6. Ernest Koroma as opposition Leader was on the board of Guma and also headed a team set up by Kabbah to plan the setting up of Nassit because of his background in the insurance industry

7. Some have opined that I should not have accepted a position less than Chairman. I did not want to be a chairman as this would entail too much of my time. I can contribute by being on the commission.

8. I really do not feel as a Sierra Leonean people should refrain from serving especially in areas in which they have expertise until they have their own Government in power

9. This is a decision I made with a full consciousness of the downsides. I decided my services were needed.

10. I will always be true to my conscience and will resign if there is any undue interference that may mess things up.

I apologise once more for not having kept you updated. This will however provide you with enough information to help state my case.

Andrew


Editor’s Note: After a sustained tsunami-like barrage of criticism from SLPP extremists known as Paopas, Andrew has made another statement on the issue in addition to the one above. Here it is:

STATEMENT ON ISSUES SURROUNDING MY APPOINTMENT TO THE ELECTRICITY AND WATER REGULATORY COMMISSION

I am concerned about some of the negative publicity that has accompanied my appointment to be a member of the new Electricity and Water Commission. Whilst acknowledging the rights of people to their opinions on whether or not I should accept such a position, I am particularly concerned about incorrect statements made by various people, mainly writing in social media and also related and skewed to various interested parties locally and abroad. Such untruths relate to the nature of the appointment, my motive for its acceptance and my political leanings. In no particular order, I would like to make the following statements to clarify these issues:

1. I have never been offered a job by President Koroma or by any member of APC. It is normal for such appointments as this one under consideration to be engendered by recommendations from the line Ministries and/or professionals/professional institutions of repute especially if the job requires some professional expertise. The President would then be at liberty to accept or reject the names. I have never had any discussions with President Koroma or anyone in the APC relating to this appointment.

2. The Electricity sector has been split into a Generation and Transmission Company and a Distribution and Sales Company. Independent Power Providers are now allowed to produce and sell power. Changes are in the offing in the water sector for provision of water to large towns and rural areas. The Regulatory Agency (which is for both electricity and water) basically makes sure that there is fairness in the system, especially for the consumers. The Board is a non- political one as it has the following composition-representatives from the SL Institution of Engineers, labour congress, consumer protection Agency and four people with technical expertise in these areas. The Commission’s functions involve licensing operators, monitor compliance, provide guidelines for charging tariffs for electricity and water, protect interest of consumers and investigate quality of service for both water and electricity, promote fair competition, conduct efficiency studies etc. A Director General and other staff will be employed to take care of its day to day running.

3. Contrary to what has been mentioned in certain quarters, the appointment is not a Ministerial appointment and is certainly not of a high enough profile to entice anyone to switch political allegiances. I will certainly not switch political allegiances for the offer of a job under any circumstances. I consider it more as a national service. My motivation for accepting the offer is based on the fact that as a professional who has worked for both sectors and had a hand in the policies and plans that led to the setting up of such an agency, the initial ones of which go way back to when SLPP was in governance, I could contribute significantly in assisting to ensure that power and water are evenly provided around the country and that there is fairness in the tariffs charged especially to poor consumers. I could also be influential in engendering an intensification of a rural electricity scheme and other schemes that would help our rural people through the commission.

4. It is not a salaried job and considering my effort I will put in, I may even lose money because of my time spent on Commission issues.

5. My means of sustenance is still through my work as a professional consultant with my company, CEMMATS. I am satisfied with what I do and am not looking out for a job of any kind.

6. I am and will remain an ardent member of the SLPP. I have not been approached by the APC and will remain loyal to the SLPP. I will continue helping to resolve seemingly intransigent issues to make our party electable.

7. Whilst continuing with my constructive engagement on various aspects of national issues, I will continue criticising those aspects I consider objectionable.

In closing I would like to reiterate that people that are influenced by decisions on such issues like water and power are of all political inclinations and from all regions of the country. These are critical sectors for the development of our country and for our well-being as Sierra Leoneans.


Andrew Keili joins NGC: Click Link

https://youtu.be/9nhJ7ZTueX8

----------------------------------------------